Visa Ban

US places Visa ban on Oshiomhole, Ganduje, Yahaya Bello, El-rufai

The United States of America Government has placed Visa Ban on Adams Oshiomhole, Abdullahi Ganduje, Yahaya Bello and als extended that of Nasir el-Rufai.

Adams Oshiomhole was a Chairman of All Progressive Congress APC and Former Governor of Edo state, Abdullahi Ganduje is the current governor Kano State, Yahaya Bello – Kogi State and Nasir  El-rufai Kaduna State all in Nigeria.

The United States MORGAN ORTAGUS, DEPARTMENT SPOKESPERSON in a press release said the Government  is Imposing Visa Restrictions on Nigerians Responsible for Undermining the Democratic Process.

SaharaReporters reported that Oshiomhole, Abdullahi Ganduje, Yahaya Bello and als extended that of Nasir el-Rufai was on the list of those banned from United States of America.

“Adams Oshiomhole, is among top Nigerians slammed with a visa ban by the United States Government”

“Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, and Kogi governor, Yahaya Bello, are also among those affected by the latest US sanction, it was gathered.”

“Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna on the other hand had his own visa ban extended.”

He has been banned from entering the US since 2010 over a graft case.

AUTHENTIC ALSO POSTED: Islamic State, Al-Qaida underway to take over West Africa -United States

According to US officials, more Nigerian politicians may be included on the visa ban list after the Edo governorship election if they are involved in electoral malpractice.

Those affected by the latest visa ban have received notification by email and or text messages, it was learnt.

A statement by spokesperson for the Department of State, Morgan Ortagus, on Monday said those issued visa bans received the sanction for undermining democracy in Nigeria.

It reads, “In July 2019, we announced the imposition of visa restrictions on Nigerians who undermined the February and March 2019 elections. Today, the Secretary of State is imposing additional visa restrictions on individuals for their actions surrounding the November 2019 Kogi and Bayelsa states elections and in the run up to the September and October 2020 Edo and Ondo states elections.

“These individuals have so far operated with impunity at the expense of the Nigerian people and have undermined democratic principles.

“The Department of State emphasises that the actions announced today are specific to certain individuals and not directed at the Nigerian people. This decision reflects the Department of State’s commitment to working with the Nigerian Government to realise its expressed commitment to end corruption and strengthen democracy, accountability, and respect for human rights.”

The United States is a steadfast supporter of Nigerian democracy. We commend all those Nigerians who participated in elections throughout 2019 and have worked to strengthen Nigerian democratic institutions and processes.

We remain committed to working together to advance democracy and respect for human rights and achieve greater peace and prosperity for both our nations. We condemn the acts of violence, intimidation, or corruption that harmed Nigerians and undermined the democratic process.

As the Edo and Ondo State off-cycle elections near, we urge all stakeholders, including the Independent National Electoral Commission, the political parties, and the security services, to uphold the tenets of democracy and facilitate genuinely free and fair elections, conducted in an appropriately transparent and non-violent manner.

In a statement on January 24, 2019, the U.S. Government said we would consider consequences – including visa restrictions – for individuals responsible for undermining the Nigerian democratic process or for organizing election-related violence.

In July 2019, we announced the imposition of visa restrictions on Nigerians who undermined the February and March 2019 elections. Today, the Secretary of State is imposing additional visa restrictions on individuals for their actions surrounding the November 2019 Kogi and Bayelsa State elections and in the run up to the September and October 2020 Edo and Ondo State elections. These individuals have so far operated with impunity at the expense of the Nigerian people and have undermined democratic principles.

The Department of State emphasizes that the actions announced today are specific to certain individuals and not directed at the Nigerian people. This decision reflects the Department of State’s commitment to working with the Nigerian government to realize its expressed commitment to end corruption and strengthen democracy, accountability, and respect for human rights.

Give a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.