Sowore: Details of court proceedings on Monday

, Sowore , Sowore revolution now , Biafra NYL , BYNL , We are not in alliance with Sowore Revolution Now- Biafra NYL

Sowore: Details of court proceedings on Monday

An Abuja Federal High Court on Monday denied Omoleye Sowore bail after he pleaded not guilty to seven counts against him by the Federal Government.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Sowere, Sahara Reporters Publisher, has been in custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) after convening a protest tagged #RevolutionNow against the present government.

Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu who denied Sowore bail, ordered his counsel, Mr Adeyinka Fusika, to file a formal bail application.

Justice Ojukwu ordered that Sowore should remain in DSS custody until his bail application and further hearing.

Before Sowore took the plea, Fusika had objected to the plea stating that he had not interacted with the defendant since Justice Taiwo Taiwo ordered his release on Sept. 26 as the DSS refused to release the defendant.

“It doesn’t matter the circumstances, orders must be obeyed before taking benefits from the court.

“You can’t obey only when it’s in your favour,” he said.

Fusika said that he was not aware of today’s arraignment but was informed by the pages of newspapers.

“We were in their office on Thursday for long but we’re not informed of today’s arraignment.

“This is an ambush, we are experiencing court orders being disobeyed and they will make people say Nigerian courts are not effective,” he said.

Justice Ojukwu, however, said that the defendant had been charged and were meant to plead either guilty or not guilty

She said that there was no impediment for the plea not to be taken as the plea could be changed in the presence of counsel.

Counsel to the Federal Government, Hassan Liman, SAN, said that he was set to commence hearing and urged the court to fix a date.

Liman requested that the defendant remained in custody.

Justice Taiwo had on Sept. 26 ordered the release of Sowore after his arrest on Aug. 3 as there was no extant order for Sowore’s continuous detention since the 45 days detention order had elapsed and had not been renewed.

 

Sowore makes shocking revelation on how DSS favours arrested Boko Haram Commanders, treated him

The co-convener of the RevolutionNow Movement, Omoyele Sowore, has disclosed that the Department of State Services, DSS, refused him from making calls while granting arrested Boko Haram Boko Haram commanders access to telephone, while in custody.

Sowore, who is the 2019 Presidential candidate of the African Action Congress, AAC, made the disclosure when he appeared before a Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday.

The Federal Government re-arraigned Sowore for conspiracy to commit treason and insulting President Muhammadu Buhari.

According to Sowore: “I am not allowed to see sunshine. I have not been outside except today. I am happy people are staying strong.

“I have no doubt this will come to an end in favour of the Nigerian people. Whether you like it or not, the revolution will happen. It is only a matter of time. They gave me no access to telephone. No TV. No newspapers.

“What is interesting is that Boko Haram commanders who are engaged in high-level terrorism have access to telephone, TV and even cable in their cells. So you wonder which one is better: a freedom fighter or a terrorist.”

Thanks for Reading

Enjoyed this post? Share it with your networks.

Receive Latest Information Immediately they Happen
Dismiss
Allow Notifications