The Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, has disclosed that six conditions must be met before reopening schools and institutions of higher learning in the country.
Speaking at the 2020 Policy Meeting on Admissions to Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, in Abuja on Tuesday, the minister said the conditions are in line with the protocols and advisories of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC.
The minister, therefore, urged all the Heads of Institutions not to wait till the announcement on reopening before putting in place these necessary measures.
Mr Nwajiuba said: “While we Iook forward to easing the Iockdown which will ultimately lead to re-opening of our campuses, I urge all the Heads of Institutions not to wait till the announcement on reopening before putting in place all necessary measures in compliance with the protocols and advisories of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
“All Institutions must have
- Hand-washing facilities
- Body temperature checks
- Body disinfectants at all entering points to their major facilities including the gates, hosteis, classes, offices, etc.
- The whole premises of each institution must be decontaminated and
- All efforts must be geared toward maintenance of the highest level of hygiene
- Ensure Social] Physical Distancing in class sizes and meeting spaces.
“Let me seize this opportunity to commend institutions that responded promptly with different innovations, including the manufacturing of some of the facilities that are required to attend to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
“I am elated with the efforts that led to the production of Ventilator, Body Disinfectant, Hand Washing and Liquid Dispensers, Body Temperature Gauges, and many more. These are manifestations of the abundance of talents in the country and the result of research.”
The minister pleaded with parents to bear the continued closure of schools with the government.
“As a member of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, let me assure all compatriots that the Government is very much concerned about the long Iockdown of the nation’s education institutions in particular and the economy in general.
“The Federal Government is doing everything possible to ensure that both lives and livelihood are given the top most priority that they deserve.
“We are aware that we must be alive to make a living while at the same time we are conscious that we must have a livelihood to stay a life.
“The Presidential Task Force is working assiduously with facts and figures that mirror the reality of our current situation and circumstance. We are making use of them to respond to the challenges in such a way that we can limit and manage the negative effects of the Pandemic. ”
Nigeria Government Conditions for reopening Schools
1. Hand-washing facilities
2. Body temperature checks
3. Body disinfectants at all entering points to their major facilities including the gates, hosteis, classes, offices, etc.
4. The whole premises of each institution must be decontaminated
5. All efforts must be geared toward maintenance of the highest level of hygiene
6. Ensure Social Physical Distancing in class sizes and meeting spaces.