Naira Marley, Nigeria Popular singer has cancelled the protest scheduled to hold on Tuesday over the illegality of some operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS.
Naira Marley made this known in a post shared on his verified Twitter page.
His announcement comes a few hours after the Minister of Youth, Sunday Dare appealed to the singer not to protest, adding that the government is on the issue.
Dare stated that the grievances faced by Nigerians, especially the youths are being addressed, hence no need to embark on peaceful protest.
Naira Marley wrote: “We won’t be protesting anymore because there’s a lot of changes being made right now.
“As a Marlian we will give them a week to see the changes and if there’s no changes we will start a mass protest.”
SARS: Buhari govt begs Naira Marley against protest
The Minister of Youths and Sports, Sunday Dare, on Monday, urged popular Nigerian singer, Naira Marley to desist from embarking on his peaceful protest.
Dare said the grievances faced by Nigerians are being addressed, hence no need to embark on peaceful protest.
Naira Marley had called for a peaceful protest over the illegality of some operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS.
The singer had vowed to lead the protest against injustice meted out on Nigerians.
Advising the singer against the protest, the minister said the federal government was determined to tackle the issue.
In a tweet, the minister wrote: “I urge you and other youth not to embark upon any protest. Your grievances are being addressed at the highest level of government.
“As the Minister in charge of youth I know this is an issue that must be tackled. Government is doing just that.”
Meanwhile earlier —
SARS to join Naira Marley, others to protest
Popular Nigerian singer, Naira Marley has announced that he would be leading a protest on Tuesday against injustice meted out on Nigerians.
This is following the outcry and #EndSARS campaign on social media against harassment of youths by SARS operatives.
Naira Marley, who had earlier declined participation in any protest over fear of going to prison, announced on his Twitter page that some SARS officials would join the protest.
Giving reasons, Marley said the police officers and SARS personnel would come out to show support against their fellow colleagues and answer questions from Nigerians.
His tweet read: “On Tuesday we got some SARS personnels coming out with us. The ones that claim to only come out for big operations and not the dirty works on road.
“They are coming out to show support and to answer some questions, we also got some police officers and soldiers joining the protest.”
AUTHENTIC ALSO POSTED: Naira Marley in Fresh trouble for hosting Concert in Abuja
Naira Marley, therefore, appealed to fans and those willing to protest not to fight with any SARS personnel.
“Don’t forget guys just in case you see any SARS or any forces there on Tuesday don’t start any fight. We are allowed to ask questions? But remember no fight, no vandalism. Peaceful protest. Thanks,” he added.