Premier legal counselor and human rights dissident, Mike Ozekhome, has responded to the seat warrant issued by the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, against the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Walter Onnoghen.
CCT on Wednesday likewise commanded the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu and the Director General, Department of State Services, DSS, Yusuf Magaji to impact his capture.
This improvement was continuation of an application by the indicting counsel, Aliyu Umar, supplicating the council that a seat warrant be issued against Onnoghen whom he said has been reliably missing from court.
Umar, in any case, contended that his application for a bench warrant was suitable given that Onnoghen’s none-appearance today was the primary reason whereupon the last dismissal was endorsed.
Responding, Ozekhome in an announcement on Wednesday recorded nine reasons the seat warrant issued against suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen by the Code of Conduct Tribunal is a ‘Trivialization of the legal procedure’.
In an announcement made accessible to newsmen on Wednesday and entitled ‘THE CCT’S BENCH WARRANT FOR THE CJN ONNOGHEN’S ARREST: CARRYING THE JOKE TOO FAR ‘, the senior promoter of Nigeria(SAN), denounced the seat warrant, depicting it as a trivialization of the legal procedure.
The announcement read: “It’s very disheartening and despicable to hear that the CCT has issued a seat warrant for the capture of CJN Walter Nkanu Onnoghen.
“For the good of God, this is verging on the quarrel, the crazy and trivialization of the legal procedure. I censure this unwholesome advance which puts the CCT in people in general area as being on a wrathful and additional legitimate mission against the CJN.
“It must be brought up that this most recent advance by the CCT which has contended it is exclusively under the president and not under the legal executive, seems, by all accounts, to be teleguided by the domineering Executive, particularly the administration. These are my explanations behind this solid view:
1. The NJC has since assumed control over the examination of the CJN as accommodated in areas 153,158,291,292(2) and segment 21, sections An and B to the third calendar to the Nigerian Constitution.
2. The EFCC has since composed a request against the equivalent NJC, utilizing indistinguishable proof from that before the CCT
3. The CCT has itself dismissed the CJN’s issue for contention on whether it even has purview at all to hear the body of evidence against the CJN
4.There are somewhere around 4 Court requests coordinating the CCT to end further procedures.
5. The CJN has not yet been physically summoned before the CCT on the charges recorded, for example, to give the CCT and locale over the CJN.
6. Under the Provisions of the ACJA, an individual, for example, Justice Walter, can even be attempted in absentia. He along these lines does not accordingly need to be mortified by being packaged to the court for arraignment like a typical criminal. Along these lines, it’s anything but an issue of one being exempt from the rules that everyone else follows.
7. By excellence of area 8 of the ACJA, each suspect is to be concurred others conscious treatment, with pride and no suspect is to be exposed to cruel and debasing treatment.
8. By goodness of area 3(d) of the CCB/CCT Act, the CJN should not have been charged at all before the CCT, given his affirmation of mixed up non full consistence with the presentation of his benefits. The segment gives that he will not be charged before the CCT once he concedes resistance. The issue finishes there, as he will be made to go along by being given new structures to fill and make total honesty.
9. The prior request made by the CCT that the CJN will move to one side has since been advanced against to the Court of Appeal and the intrigue should be permitted to run its full course.
It is obvious to me that the CJN is being crowd lynched by the administration and an area of the bargained or clueless individuals from people in general; is being bugged, threatened and intentionally, painted with the paintbrush of disgrace, all so as to introduce a fait accompli regarding why.