Dino Melaye Finally Surrenders to Police

Dino Melaye

The Senator representing Kogi west Constituency, Dino Melaye has finally submitted himself to the Nigerian Police.
Recall that Police since last week Friday laid siege to the Abuja residence of the embattled senator, in order to arrest and interrogate him over alleged homicide. Melaye on his part, maintained that he would continue to remain in his hideout, noting that the forces plan was to arrest and inject him with substance that would kill him.

However, owing to his refusal to surrender, Police disconnected his electricity and water supply and refuse to vacate his premises, noting that Melaye is wanted by the Police for a case of Criminal Conspiracy and Attempted Culpable Homicide, committed on 19th July, 2018, when Senator Dino Melaye and his armed thugs attacked Police personnel; shot and wounded Sgt. Danjuma Saliu, attached to 37 Police Mobile Force (PMF) on stop and search duty along Aiyetoro Gbede, Mopa Road in Kogi State.

Similarly, a human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, yesterday, called on the lawmaker to end the siege by submitting himself for arrest without any further delay. Reports have it that senators who visited the lawmaker at his residence on Friday went with him to see the Police boss, Mr Ibrahi Idris in order to resolve the problem.


Eight days after holing up in his residence to avoid arrest by policemen for alleged homicide, Senator Dino Melaye, on Friday surrendered to the Police and was taken to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad office, Guzape, Abuja, for interrogation.

It was gathered that senators who visited the lawmaker at his residence on Friday accompanied  Melaye and his lawyer to the SARS office after failing to meet with the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, at the Force headquarters.

Our correspondent learnt that the embattled lawmaker, however, slumped shortly before interrogation by SARS operatives and was taken to an undisclosed hospital for medical attention.

Over 50 policemen had stormed Melaye’s mansion last Friday in an attempt to arrest him for interrogation over the alleged shooting of one Sgt. Danjuma Aliu.

The policeman, who was said to be lying critically ill at the Federal Medical Centre, Lokoja, was said to have been injured by suspected thugs loyal to the senator in Kogi State last July.

But Melaye who represents Kogi West Senatorial District in the National Assembly, had barricaded himself in his home and refused to surrender for arrest.

Instead, he was  posting defiant messages on Twitter, saying he would not surrender to the cops.

Confirming the arrest of the lawmaker, the Force spokesman, acting DCP Jimoh Moshood, said in a statement that Melaye had been taken to Police hospital for medical attention.

He stated that the police operatives waited for eight days for the senator to obey the law and surrender himself for arrest when his claims that he was not in Abuja was found to be false.

Moshood explained that the senator would be taken to court after investigation.

The police in a statement issued later said “Senator Dino Melaye is currently in Police custody for investigation, and subsequently, taken to Police hospital, Abuja for medical attention and he is in stable condition. Investigation into the case of criminal conspiracy and attempted culpable homicide against him is on-going.


The case will be taken to court on completion of investigation” The lawmakers, who are strong supporters of Dino, apparently convinced him to report to the police given the weighty allegation of culpable homicide levelled against him by the force and find a way to prove them wrong, especially with the presence of Ozekhome, a senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN. A source present at the time of the incident, confirmed to Vanguard that no fewer than 50 policemen followed Dino and his colleagues, who drove the Senator in their private vehicle to the Police Headquarters in Abuja with a view to meeting the Inspector General of Police.

However, as Dino and his friends arrived the IGP’s office in Louis Edet House, they were told that he was unavailable and that they should rather report to the Federal Special Armed Robbery Squad, FSARS, in Guzape, near Asokoro. Meanwhile, as a detachment of policemen was leaving Dino’s house to follow him to the dreaded FSARS, no fewer than 30 others in seven trucks, took strategic positions on Sangha Street where Dino’s home is and the adjourning areas. Dino, who likens himself to the Biblical Elijah, had earlier vowed not to honour the police invitation, alleging that the police authorities had perfected plots to inject him to death and stall his political journey.

An aide to Dino, Bode Gbadebo, confirmed that as at the time of filing the report, his boss was still with FSARS, but said he did not know whether he would be released on Friday or not. It will be recalled that the detachment of policemen had stormed Dino’s residence since December 28, 2018, vowing not to vacate the premises until the embattled lawmaker surrendered himself. The police had alleged that some supporters in the convoy of Senator Dino shot and fatally wounded a police Sergeant who was on a stop-and-search duty  and that he must answer to the alleged crime, which might likely keep him out for long if arrested.

If taken into prolonged custody, Dino might miss next month’s re-election bid to represent the people of his Kogi West Constituency. But Chief Ozekhome is expected to lead the fight to keep Dino out police custody.

Thanks for Reading

Enjoyed this post? Share it with your networks.