Armed men demolish Nigeria High Commission quarters in Ghana

Armed men demolish Nigeria High Commission quarters in Ghana

Some armed men had invaded the Nigerian High commission in Accra, Ghana on Friday, destroying some apartments under construction.

The affected buildings were reportedly being constructed to house staff and visitors.

A Ghanaian businessman had accused the commission of encroaching on his land.

He was said to have visited the place last week, presenting evidence as real owner of the land

However, he reportedly returned to the site on Friday in the company of armed men, who supervised the demolition.

Officials of the commission reportedly contacted the police but efforts were not made to prevent the demolition.

AUTHENTIC ALSO POSTED: Nigerians Cries out Says they are Maltreated, Attacked in Ghana

Meanwhile The Federal Government of Nigeria has condemned in strong terms the demolition of the Nigerian High Commissioner residence in Accra, Ghana.

Reacting on the issue, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama condemned the act.

Onyeama, in a terse statement, however said Nigeria was already engaging the Ghanaian government on the issue.

The Minister stated: “We strongly condemn two outrageous criminal attacks in Accra, Ghana, on a residential building in our diplomatic premises by unknown persons in which a bulldozer was used to demolish the building. We are engaging the Ghanaian Government and demand urgent action to find the perpetrators and provide adequate protection for Nigerians and their property in Ghana.”

Ghanaian President begs Buhari over demolition of Nigerian High Commission building, arrests culprits

President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana has apologized for the demolition of part of Nigerian High Commission’s building in Ghana.

The building was demolished on Friday.

A source had claimed that a businessman said the Nigerian High Commission’s staff quarters was being built on his land.

But Ghana claimed that unknown persons carried out the act.

However, a statement released by Garba Shehu, Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on (Media & Publicity) said Akufo-Addo on Tuesday spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari.

Shehu said Akufo-Addo expressed his sincere apology for demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.

“In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he has directed full investigation into the incident.

“Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court,” he added.

Give a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.